.
I was chatting with a friend of mine just awhile ago, and we got to talking about old times, old friends (gosh, I feel old now. Crap!) Well, you get the picture :) It was an honest conversation that I needed, which was strangely disturbing yet reassuring and comforting at the same time.
.
It got me thinking of the friends I've gained, friends I've kept, and friends I've lost over the couple of years. We all know that we can't possibly please everyone in this whole wide world, or make everyone like us for what we are. But why do we always need validation from others in all we do?
.
Over the years, I've come to realise that life is too short, and I'm not getting any younger. So why waste time pleasing people around you, more than yourself? Do what you desire, what fulfills you, cause at the end of the day, when you go knocking on Heaven's door, it's not gonna be them answering it!
.
Be true to yourself, and to your heart... cause your true friends will accept you for who you are, and the rest are probably not worth keeping anyway.
.
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
.
Mei needs to learn to love herself, be more unaffected, and brave.
.
Damnit, it's almost 4am, and I'm awake, typing this rubbish. It all sounds too familiar to you, doesn't it?
4 comments:
yepyep i agree. u have to love yourself because the maximum abuse you can receive from others is the gauge u abuse yourself.
if you love yourself, u shall tolerate no abuse from others ^_^ then u might not care what others say or need their approval.. or something. omg i should recommend u a boook except i read it in a toilet in serena's place so i donno what book it was but it was goooooood. let us all love ourselves. power!
suzen: *hahaha*... reading it in serena's toilet? that was wayyy too much information!
and yes, i remember discussing the abuse issue with you @ bismi the other time! *hehe* looking forward to hanging out after exams! :)
I guess in response to Wooden's comment is the old Chinese adage: "A tiger values its skin; a man values his name."
In today's materialistic society in which fame, money, and "idols" are upheld , I think todays generation is pushed to stand out by crafting a reputation or a fascade.
And as you say Mei, we do all need be more true to ourselves - to "love ourselves, be more unaffected.." and most of all to be "..brave".
It takes courage, so keep it up!
rich: thanks boy! *hugz* but easier said than done really. thus, mei's still trying :)
Post a Comment